Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My New Mousepad

I have been wanting to replace an old dilapidated mousepad that I had at work and decided to see if I could refurbish the old one rather than buying a new pad. I had recently purchased a package of June Taylor computer printer fabric sheets, and I thought it would be fun to see if I could adhere the fabric sheet to the old mousepad. I'm happy to say that it worked perfectly. I placed a sheet of Steam-A-Seam 2 between the computer printed fabric and the rubber mousepad, applied a hot iron, and presto, the fabric adhered perfectly. I probably should have changed the settings on my printer so the colors would have been more intense, but I actually like the softer colors that came through on the sheet just as well. I did not spray any protective coating on the surface, so I'm not sure how well the fabric will hold up under intense mouse movement, but I'm going to put it to the test.

3 comments:

  1. Great picture and a good idea. If it wears out, just make a new one. Then you can use lots of pretty pictures. But I would imagine it would last quite awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carole.. this looks good! How clever!
    The muted colors look good and probably just rght for 'work'...
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The methods of using a wedge ruler would allow you to piece a version of your fungus bells. I really love the colors - would they be difficult to hand-dye.

    "Quilts Without Corners" by Cheryl Phillips explains the method.

    ReplyDelete